Melissa Ritchie CD(DONA)
Melissa is certified with DONA and is accepting births. Please contact Melissa via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Melissa’s passion for birth started when she was pregnant with her first son. Her wonderful birth experiences have led her to become a certified doula with DONA. Her goal is to help empower women to birth without fear and to welcome labour with excitement and ease. She feels lucky to be able to help women achieve this, by providing them with a quality level of comfort and care.
In her spare time, Melissa enjoys spending quality time with her husband and two sons. Melissa is also an elementary school teacher.
What is a doula?
The word “doula” comes from ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves.” It is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend births, labours are significantly shorter, have fewer complications and babies are healthier and breastfeed easier.
A doula does the following:
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all of her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labour
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for the birth
- Stays with the woman throughout her labour
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions
- Facilitates communication between the labouring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience
- Allows the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level
What are the advantages of having a doula?
- Medically proven to make a true difference in the experience of birth, decreasing interventions, including c-sections and increasing satisfaction
- Improves the parental satisfaction rate and reduces the risk of mood disorders.
- Increases the success of breastfeeding
- Shorter hospital stays with fewer admissions to special care nurseries.
- Better bonding experiences with their newborns
- Mother’s partner is reassured, supported and encouraged at their own level of comfort
How many doula clients is Dr. Jenn accepting?
Due to her clinic hours and teaching schedule Dr. Jenn currently not taking on births. However Melissa is accepting births and you are welcome to contact her for services.
What is the cost of Melissa’s services?
Pricing: $850 (pricing includes taxes).
Deposit = $250
Remainder $500 = due by postdated cheque for due date.
(Please note that if your birth is less than 3 hours the remainder due at birth will be $250 +$250 deposit =$500 in total)
Accepts individual payment plans, cash, cheque or interac e-transfer.
- Birth support beginning at the onset of active labour until birth and 1 hour after. Price includes 1 Prenatal visit and 1 postnatal visit in home or in office if needed.
- There is a non-refundable $250 deposit to hold your spot. Refund will be made if doula cannot attend the birth for circumstances such as sickness or unforeseen unavailability.